четверг, 16 октября 2008 г.

colonial williamsburg taverns




My thesis project is going well so far. Sometimes i feel like i have no idea what i am doing and fear my life is falling apart- total artistic existential meltdown (which really can be triggered by pretty much anything). But for the most part i know what iapos;m doing, what i want to do, what i need to do, why i am doing it, etc. Etc. Even at the worst moments i trust myself and know that eventually i will have something i can be proud of to show people. Iapos;ve learned that nothing i do is sacred and shouldnapos;t operate under the assumption that anything i do matters to anyone but myself. It is the time of my artmaking life to be both selfish and, in a way, selfless. I think they can be the same thing. I canapos;t explain to you how.

anyway, i do wish that i lived in my studio. It will undoubtedly happen eventually as deadlines become less arbitrary and meaningless, but iapos;d like to be at the point already where every moment is spent making. Because of the nature of my project, i really do need to be working all of the time, or at least in my studio looking at things. Absorbing and shit. My project is not the kind of thing (at least at this stage) that can really be planned out intensely or with any level of detail ahead of time- it is all about pieces and growing and connecting and making a gigantic mess to comb through later. Although in time i will be able to insert intentionality and compose a direction or implement an arc, at this point it is all intuition and playing. Changing my mind. Not finishing things. Making things that suck. Making things that will never be seen by anyone.

so i was talking with holly about all of this. Although my professors wouldnapos;t have ever thought of telling me that i need to be spending more time working, as i am progressing well and they can see my concentrated effort, they all agree that it certainly isnapos;t bad and is in fact probably very good that i want to be working more. As we all can see, there are some people who are doing hardly a thing and donapos;t want to be doing anything, either. Assholes.

so holly dared me to have twenty pieces done by wednesday; that gave/gives me a week. The best part about 20 pieces is that although it is kind of unreasonable, i can totally do it. I made two yesterday, and they are two of my favorite things i have ever made. She told me i would get a fake "f" if i didnapos;t do it. That is the best part of IP. My professors are super laid back and totally rule. They know they donapos;t need to impose bullshit like that on me but if i ask them to pretend, they will.

so i made these things. Blah blah blah artschool.







also, i have the best job in the world.

david meier, colonial williamsburg taverns, colonial williamsburg tavern, colonial williamsburg souvenir, colonial williamsburg shops.



Комментариев нет: